Monday, June 5, 2017 • 11:15 – 12:45
Track 2 – PHYSICIAN WELLNESS
Coping with Acute on Chronic Acopia - The Calgary Experience: Let’s Pay Attention to ED Wellness Now - Dr. Ian Wishart
This presentation will discuss how to re-energize your career in emergency medicine and how to increase longevity in this profession.
- Explore factors that improve job satisfaction in the ED
- Discuss limitations to achieving your goals in the ED
- Discover opportunities to optimize your performance
What is up with Resident Wellness? National State and Recent Initiatives - Dr. Zafrina Poonja
Physician wellness is a topic that has been gaining much traction in recent years. Residents present a unique interplay between being learners and employees as well as a set of experiences that employ a dynamic between college accreditation standards, hospital policies and university oversight. What is the current state of emergency medicine resident wellness? What resources are available and what initiatives are taking place to mitigate the challenges? How can we make it a national priority? It is a call for action!
Digital Collaboration – Wellness Week and Wellness Think Tank - Dr. Fareen Zaver
This presentation will present collaboration via a virtual platform – The ALiEM Wellness Think Tank. A summary of the full day wellness consensus summit at the Essentials of EM conference, which features discussions and workgroups on a range of wellness topics, will also be discussed.
- Understand the benefits of the ALiEM Wellness Think Tank
- Review major learning points from the Wellness Consensus Conference
- Learn how the virtual platform can help enhance wellness across North America
Top Wellness Strategies for the Busy Emergency Physician - Dr. Richard Fleet
This presentation will focus on the top evidence-based wellness strategies to help the busy emergency physician. Dr. Fleet will introduce cognitive-behavioral strategies, mindfulness meditation, sleep strategies and discuss how exercise affects the brain. Finally, the evidence for what truly contributes to happiness will be reviewed. The audience will be called to reflect upon their life objectives and happiness and will be guided towards further readings on this subject.
- Understand why physician mental health and wellness is important
- Learn which evidence-based strategies from the field of clinical psychology can help
The Science of Yoga: A Top Wellness Strategy for the ED Physician - Dr. Gilles Dupuis
This presentation will provide the latest scientific knowledge about yoga and its psychophysiological effects. It will also describe short yoga poses and breathing techniques that can be used in any work setting.
- Become familiar with a model that allows you to understand why yoga works
- Become aware of important results about the effects of yoga
- Learn some easy yoga poses that could be used in the work setting
How to Measure Your Quality of Work Life in the ED - Dr. Gilles Dupuis
This presentation will focus on a theoretical model that help to define quality of work life (QWL) and on an instrument to assess QWL: the Quality of Work Life Systemic Inventory (QWLSI). Preliminary results will be given on QWL among ED staff members.
- Understand a model that allows understanding what quality of work life is
- Know how the Quality of Work Life Systemic Inventory (QWLSI) can be used in the ED
- Learn about QWL among ED staff members