Monday, June 5, 2017 • 09:45- 10:45
Track 4 – PHYSICIAN ADMINISTRATORS 101…THE FUTURE
WCC: Rainbow Theatre
A Resident’s Administration Experience - Dr. Jared Baylis
This presentation will provide an overview of medical leadership and administration training from the perspective of a resident in royal college emergency medicine. You will leave this presentation with interesting reflections and visions for the future when it comes to the next generation of medical leaders and administrators.
- Discuss current literature regarding leadership and administration in postgraduate emergency medicine training
- Review the take-home points from a novel elective experience
- Discuss future ideas for curricular development around leadership and administration
Physician Engagement - Dr. Rod McFadyen
This session will explore the evidence that physician engagement leads to improvements at the facility and organization level in health care planning and delivery. Using examples from leading organizations, participants will be able to identify ways that they can ensure that the physician voice is involved when key health care planning decisions are made in their own workplace.
- Learn a working definition for “physician engagement”
- Familiar with research evidence for physician engagement leading to improvement
- Identify engagement opportunities in your own work environment
So You Want to Be a Medical Administrator???? - Dr. Mike Ertel
This presentation will describe the journey from a practicing emergency medicine physician who had no interest in administration to a current role which is 80% administrative and 20% clinical. Lessons learned will be shared so that others who embark on this road will learn from these experiences.
- Understand the basics of medical administration
- Learn what resources are available for those interested in pursuing a career in medical administration
- Understand the do’s and don’ts of being successful as a physician in medical administration