Sunday, June 4, 2017 • 13:00 - 14:30
Track 5 – RURAL EMERGENCY MEDICINE
Yet Another Use for Ultrasound - The Joints - Dr. Alex Brothers
Practical ultrasound-guided joint aspirations and injections for the emergency department will be discussed.
- Locate a joint space on ultrasound
- Understand the diagnostics for joint aspirate
- Know the useful medications for joint injections
Procedural Sedation in the Rural ER - Dr. Alex Brothers
A review of procedural sedation in the rural emergency. How to keep it simple and safe.
- Understand the definition of procedural sedation for the Emergency Department
- Know the indications for procedural sedation in the Emergency Department
- Understand the risks of procedural sedation in the Emergency Department
ATVs, Knife Fights and "Who Needs a Seatbelt Anyway?" Sticking it to Rural Trauma - Dr. Alan Vukusic
This presentation will present rural trauma cases, tips and preparation.
- Simplify and organize your approach to trauma pitfalls
- Organize your trauma shop and pit crew
Is the Pressure On? ....Or Very Low? Quick, Dirty & Peripheral Pressors - Dr. Alan Vukusic
This presentation will outline practical use of quick and dirty vasopressors in the rural setting.
- Prepare and use peripheral vasopressors
Orthopedic Procedures in an Emergency Rural Setting - Dr. Annie Gareau
This presentation will review emergency orthopedic procedures in a rural setting, such as shoulder and tib-fib reductions, and upper extremity reductions under Biehr blocks.
- Safe and efficient shoulder reduction
- Safe and efficient tib-fib reduction
- Introduction to Biehr blocks for the purpose of upper extremity fractures and dislocations reductions