Wednesday, June 7, 2017 • 08:30 – 10:30
Track 3 – TOXICOLOGY
WCC: Ballroom B
Lipid Emulsion Therapy: Rescue or Ransom? - Dr. Sophie Gosselin
What is the evidence for the efficacy of lipid emulsion in toxicology? What are potential harms? This presentation will help you navigate the meanders of the last decade where numerous opinion publications promoted the use of lipid emulsion. Let’s analyse and distinguish the efficacy data, the reason and the rationale from the random publication and the risk associated with the science of case reports.
- Distinguish the pharmacokinetics of oral versus IV overdose models
- Analyse the potential harm of intravenous lipid emulsion given at supra physiological doses
- Review the recommendations for the use of lipid emulsions in local anesthetics and non-local anesthetics poisonings
Naloxone in the Age of New Opioids - Dr. Chris DeWitt
This presentation will explore the use of naloxone in the age of newer opioids such as buprenorphine and high potency opiates.
- Understand naloxone’s mechanism of action
- Understand suggested naloxone dosing regimes and use in newer opioids
- Discuss duration of observation after naloxone administration
|LO92 – Factors contributing to the development of adverse drug events treated in emergency departments||Dr. Corinne Hohl|
Which NAC Regimen Is the Right One - Dr. Morgan Riggan
This presentation will discuss the use of n-acetylcysteine (NAC) in acetaminophen toxicity, and specifically examine the evidence for the various protocols that exist for NAC and their efficacy.
- Review the use of n-acetylcysteine in treating acetaminophen toxicity
- Evaluate the various protocols that exist for n-acetylcysteine dosing in acetaminophen toxicity
Methylene Blue - More Than Just Methemoglobinemia - Dr. Bob Hoffman
After a short discussion of methemoglobinemia, this presentation will focus on the use of methylene blue for non-traditional indications such as vasodilatory shock and chemotherapeutic induced encephalopathy.
- Explain the mechanism of action of methylene blue in methemoglobinemia
- Synthesize the evidence for the use of methylene blue in vasodilatory shock and develop an algorithm for its use
- Discuss the mechanism of action of ifosfamide