Description: Dr. Chan will review some of the latest evidence for teaching trainees to flow within the chaotic environment of the emergency department.
At the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Identify the precursors to managing multiple patients.
- Identify at least 1 new technique they can apply to teaching flow in their next shift.
- Identify one new paper they can read on this topic.
- As EDs get busier, we need to develop new competencies – learning to flow an ED is one of these new skills.
- Before they can balance multiple patients, they must understand how each individual patient “moves” in the department.
- Learning ED flow can be scaffolded by cognitive apprenticeship – don’t just take care of issues behind trainees’ backs, make sure to involve them in some way (e.g. role-modelling, “what if?”, invite them to trouble shoot with you).