Description: This session will review key issues for emergency medicine providers regarding adult and pediatric diagnostic error from CMPA medical-legal cases. Practical tips and strategies will be reviewed to improve the decision-making process for emergency medicine providers, leading to safer care in their practice.
At the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Describe common medical-legal risks associated with diagnostic errors.
- Identify the top 5 major causes of diagnostic error for emergency medicine providers.
- Identify features of EM practice that affect one’s ability to diagnose accurately.
- Implement strategies to improve patient safety, especially in case presentations with diagnostic uncertainty.
- Recognize the importance of engaging in reflective practice to reduce diagnostic error in their practice.