Sunday, May 26, 2019 • 13:00 - 14:30
Track 2 - CMPA
Track Chair: Dr. Shirley Lee
Common Diagnostic Errors: How Can You Increase the Safety of Your Practice? - Dr. Shirley Lee and Dr. Lisa Calder
Description: This session will review key issues for emergency medicine providers regarding adult and pediatric diagnostic error from CMPA medical-legal cases. Practical tips and strategies will be reviewed to improve the decision-making process for emergency medicine providers, leading to safer care in their practice.
At the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Describe common medical-legal risks associated with diagnostic errors.
- Identify the top 5 major causes of diagnostic error for emergency medicine providers.
- Identify features of EM practice that affect one’s ability to diagnose accurately.
- Implement strategies to improve patient safety, especially in case presentations with diagnostic uncertainty.
- Recognize the importance of engaging in reflective practice to reduce diagnostic error in their practice.
Dr. Shirley Lee is a Physician Advisor at the Canadian Medical Protective Association and an Emergency physician at the Ottawa Hospital. She is an Associate Professor with the Faculty of Medicine, at the University of Toronto. She has been a passionate medical educator for over 20+ years. Her education interests focus on supporting physician practices to optimize safe medical care delivery across Canada.
Dr. Calder is an emergency physician and patient safety researcher. She is Associate Professor with the Department of Emergency Medicine and Affiliate Investigator with the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute. She is currently Director of Medical Care Analytics at the Canadian Medical Protective Association.