Description: This talk will discuss critical thinking in the ER and what are the common cognitive errors and biases that occur. It will discuss why patients launch legal proceedings and what a judge looks for when making a judgement. To avoid a judgement for the plaintiff we will look at how to avoid making cognitive errors and recognize when biases occur. The goal is to avoid making errors that will result in a judge finding liability.
At the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Learn the common cognitive errors and biases that occur in the ER.
- Learn to identify when cognitive errors and biases are occurring.
- Understand why patients sue and what is required for a case against you to proceed and possibly be successful.
- When you are uneasy, stop and ask why, then act on it, never ignore.
- Approach every patient interaction as a new encounter and problem, never assume.
- Be polite and professional at all times.