Description: In this session we will review the provision of seamless care to patients presenting in any geographic setting. Use effective strategies to achieve strong communication and handover of all cases requiring transfer for ongoing management or care.
At the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Highlight the importance of an integrated online medical oversight/mentorship system within a provincial EMS system.
- Identify important skill sets that online medical physicians should develop for success in their role.
- Discuss aspects of coordinating care between rural/regional sites and the tertiary centre, including mode of transfer and ensuring the transferring team is supported.
- Coordination between tertiary centres and the sending sites improves efficiency and outcome.
- Sending the right team – air, ground, critical care, your own staff, yourself – and getting the right support from an integrated medical oversight system- are key ingredients to success.