Description: A systematic and comprehensive approach for techniques such as hemodialysis in the management of the poisoned patient. This assessment requires an understanding of pharmacokinetics, the poison’s characteristics, alternative therapies, available extracorporeal techniques, and clinical condition, all of which will be presented. Current EXTRIP guidelines will be presented.
At the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Integrate extracorporeal modalities within a clinical framework.
- Determine what makes a poison “dialyzable”.
- Review EXTRIP recommendations.
- Do a proper stepwise assessment: it only takes minutes.
- Call your nephrologist early on. Be convincing.
- The management of a poisoned patient does not start and certainly does not end with dialysis.