Description: This presentation will review current medico-legal trends for Emergency Medicine in Canada and describe key risk management messages including how these data can be used to improve the safety of emergency care.
At the end of this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Describe the nature and drivers of emergency medicine medico-legal trends.
- Identify top 3 medico-legal risks in emergency medicine.
- Apply at least one practical tip to improve the safety of emergency care.
- Complaints to regulatory bodies are increasing –physicians can mitigate their risk.
- Diagnostic error is a leading cause of medico-legal complaints in emergency medicine.
- An appropriate, focused and well-documented physical exam can help reduce diagnostic error.