Tuesday, May 29, 2018 • 10:15 - 11:45
Track 3 - CHOOSING WISELY
Track Chair: Dr. Shawn Dowling
On Clinical Decision Support in the ED - Dr. Kelly Bookman
Description: We embedded a novel set of workflow integrated clinical decision tools into the EHR at our facility for decreasing utilization of high cost imaging. We were able to show not only an overall decrease in utilization of CT brain, CT brain and CT PE but we showed that the CDS implementation disproportionately affected high utilizers bringing them closer to the average utilizers.
- How CDS enhances patient care, resource stewardship
- How to get physicians to see the value of CDS
- How to get physicians to meaningfully use CDS
- Always choose CDS interventions that are within the usual provider workflow
- Make sure you have operational leadership buy in for CDS implementation.
- Make sure you are addressing a clinically high yield issue
Biography: Dually board certified in Emergency Medicine and Clinical Informatics. Epic physician builder certified. Senior Medical Director for the University of Colorado Health Emergency Medicine Service which encompasses over 25 emergency departments and 7 hospitals.
CWC_ED Toolkit - Dr. Kuldeep Sidhu
Description: NYGH Emergency Department has had tremendous success in a number of Choosing Wisely projects. The team was asked to author the ED CWC toolkit: Give the Test a Rest.
- The attendees will become familiar the CWC toolkit: Give the Test a Rest
- The attendees will be able list factors related to successful CW ED projects
- Engagement is key.
- If they build it, they own it.
- Its a process, not a project.
Biography: Dr Kuldeep Sidhu is Chief of Emergency Medicine and Program Medical Director at North York General Hospital.
He is an Associate Professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the University of Toronto.
Physician Behaviour: What's Up with Change? - Dr. Brian Rowe
Description: Choosing Wisely Canada recommendations in emergency medicine have been developed and disseminated; however, implementation success has been elusive. This presentation will review the CAEP CWC recommendations, evidence regarding barriers and facilitators to changing physician behaviours and tips for successful implementation practices.
- Participants will learn about the CAEP CWC recommendations
- Participants will learn about the barriers to changing physician behaviours
- Participants will learn about the facilitators to changing physician behaviours
- CWC recommendations for emergency physicians are evidence-based
- Barriers to changing behaviour are multi-factorial
- Changing physician behaviours required multi-faceted interventions
Biography: Dr. Rowe is a Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Alberta, Scientific Director of the Institute of Circulatory and Respiratory Health at CIHR and a Tier I Canada Research Chair.