Description: We embedded a novel set of workflow integrated clinical decision tools into the EHR at our facility for decreasing utilization of high cost imaging. We were able to show not only an overall decrease in utilization of CT brain, CT brain and CT PE but we showed that the CDS implementation disproportionately affected high utilizers bringing them closer to the average utilizers.
- How CDS enhances patient care, resource stewardship
- How to get physicians to see the value of CDS
- How to get physicians to meaningfully use CDS
- Always choose CDS interventions that are within the usual provider workflow
- Make sure you have operational leadership buy in for CDS implementation.
- Make sure you are addressing a clinically high yield issue
Biography: Dually board certified in Emergency Medicine and Clinical Informatics. Epic physician builder certified. Senior Medical Director for the University of Colorado Health Emergency Medicine Service which encompasses over 25 emergency departments and 7 hospitals.