Description: Acute wheezing episodes are common ED presentations, caused by a variety of conditions. The differentiation among asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and “mimics” is an important issue since management and prognosis differs for each condition. This presentation will review the causes of ED wheezing and evidence-based approaches to the management of asthma/COPD.
- Participants will understand the various causes of acute wheezing
- Participants will understand
- All that wheezes is not asthma.
- Systemic corticosteroids are the cornerstone for treating asthma and COPD.
- Antibiotics should be chosen wisely in acute COPD and asthma.
Biography: Dr. Rowe is a Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Alberta, Scientific Director of the Institute of Circulatory and Respiratory Health at CIHR and a Tier I Canada Research Chair.