Wednesday, May 30, 2018 • 12:45 - 14:15
Track 2 - HOW TO
Track Chair: Dr. Nadder Sharif
Dental Anesthesia and Other Strategies to Properly Manage Dental Emergencies - Dr. Tobias Meiszinger, Dr. Heidi Rabie
Description: Dental anesthesia made easy! Come and learn how to identify anatomical landmarks inside the mouth to help you quickly alleviate oral pain via nerve blocks. What’s next after relieving the acute pain? We will also discuss what resources and advice you can provide to stop the revolving door.
- Learn how to deliver dental nerve blocks with confidence
- Learn how to advocate for your patients to receive necessary dental care outside the ED
- Your role in clinical pathway creation for dental infections
Bloody Nose: Co-creating a Framework Together in 10 Mins - Dr. Khurram Jahangir
Description: An opportunity to co-develop a framework together within 10mins – strategizing how to stop both the common and the more obstinate causes of nose bleeds, as well as preventive measures to avoid recurrences.
- Describe the common causes of nose bleeds seen in an ER setting
- Discuss strategies to stop nose bleeds
- Discuss preventive measures and patient education resources to avoid recurrences of nose bleeds
Shoulder Relocation with No Drugs and No Pulling - Dr. James Thompson
Description: We can give safer, faster, better care to most shoulder reduction patients with less use of resources by using medication free positioning rather than sedate and manipulate.
- Know when to use different types of reduction techniques.
- Most shoulder relocations can be done with positioning and without force
- The majority of reductions can be done comfortably without medication.
How to Set up a Ventilator (for Smart People Who Never Do This) - Dr. Sara Gray
Description: We will review the basics of setting up and adjusting a ventilator, in ten quick minutes! Come get the refresher you need.
- Review initial vent settings for the ED
- Discuss how to adjust those initial settings based on patient factors
- Discuss how to adjust the vent to solve hypoxia and hypercarbia
ET CO2 - Dr. Joe Nemeth
Description: The talk will highlight the vital role of End-Tidal CO2 in managing the ill patient, guiding resuscitation of the arrest patient and monitoring during procedural sedation.
- Will learn basic concepts of application and interpretation of ETCO2
- Will learn how to use the information from ETCO2 to guide resuscitation.
- Will learn limitations of ETCO2 interpretation