Description: Dental anesthesia made easy! Come and learn how to identify anatomical landmarks inside the mouth to help you quickly alleviate oral pain via nerve blocks. What’s next after relieving the acute pain? We will also discuss what resources and advice you can provide to stop the revolving door.
- Learn how to deliver dental nerve blocks with confidence
- Learn how to advocate for your patients to receive necessary dental care outside the ED
- Your role in clinical pathway creation for dental infections
- Dental nerve blocks are easy to deliver if you know what landmarks to look for inside the mouth
- Relieving acute pain is a good start but patients without access to private dental care will need you to advocate for them to receive the dental care they need outside the ER
- Public/community resources for basic urgent dental care are available ex. Public Health Dental Clinics coupon referral program
Biography – Dr. Tobias Meiszinger: I grew up in small town Ontario and graduated from McGill dental school in 2014. I then moved to Calgary to complete a one year hospital residency. Since finishing residency I have enjoyed practicing dentistry in Calgary in both private and public settings allowing me to treat a diverse demographic of patients. I have a passion for improving access to dental care for Canada’s vulnerable populations.
Biography: Dr. Heidi Rabie is Chief Dentist of the Alberta Health Services’ Public Health Dental Clinics (PHDC) in Calgary, Alberta. The clinics target population low income and Albertans without dental insurance and provide emergency relief and basic dental care. PHDC became the referral pathway for low income dental infection patients in Calgary area ER’s and Urgent Cares through a referral/ free coupon project collaboration with the departments of Infectious Diseases and Emergency Medicine. Dr. Rabie graduated from the Faculty of Dentistry of the University of Montreal in 1998 and practiced in private practice for 10 years before joining AHS in 2008. Addressing dental inequity is her greatest passion.