Description: The biggest change in EM education since the development of the specialty starts in 2018. This session will unveil the theory and design of an educational system that provides learner flexibility, increases local faculty responsibility and demonstrates greater societal accountability.
- Describe the four key principles of competency-based medical education
- Explain and use an EPA (entrustable professional activity)
- Describe how a competency committee functions
- Micro-observation is the key to good coaching.
- A competency committee provides final approval for successful training
Biography: Dr. Sherbino is an emergency physician in an urban tertiary emergency department. He is the assistant dean of education research, McMaster University. Jonathan is the chair of the Royal College Emergency Medicine Specialty Committee.