Description: This talk will review the three protocols that are used by Alberta paramedics to assess, treat and refer patients who present with hypoglycemia, supraventricular tachycardia, and low risk syncope and describe the Alberta experience with not transporting these patient populations.
- Provide an introduction and overview of existing assess, treat, and refer protocols in Alberta
- Describe the Alberta experience with these protocols
- Describe completed and planned research
- Paramedics can safely follow an assess, treat and refer protocol
- Assess, treat and refer protocols provide support for paramedics to deliver patient oriented care
- Assess, treat, and refer protocols help divert patients from emergency to other more appropriate levels of care
Biography: Ian Blanchard is the Research Lead for the Alberta Health Services, Emergency Medical Services system and an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Community Health Sciences, at the Cumming School of Medicine, University of Calgary. He is working with a dedicated group of colleagues to build the research enterprise in EMS and paramedic care in Alberta and Canada.