Description: This presentation will summarize the Island Health experience in implementing computerized provider order entry and a closed loop medication management system. The criticality of developing a shared understanding of risk and safety in both paper based medication management systems and electronic systems will be discussed.
- Upon completion of this presentation, participants will be able to assess the risks in managing medication in a paper based environment
- Upon completion of this presentation, participants will be able to explain the benefits of a closed loop medication management system
- Upon completion of this presentation, participants will be able to discuss human factor theory and the effectiveness of changes in context of an electronic medication management system
- To Err is Human – technologies can be used to support elimination of preventable errors.
- Implementation of a Closed Loop Medication Management System merely gets to the beginning…
- Conversations change when patient’s, nurses and pharmacists are involved in the discussions of medication safety
Biography: Dr. Mary-Lyn Fyfe is a practicing physician and currently is the Chief Medical Information Officer for Island Health in British Columbia, Canada. Mary-Lyn is a University of British Columbia medical graduate who subsequently undertook Internal Medicine education in both Canada and the United States, where she worked for Kaiser Permanente for 12 years. It was there that Mary-Lyn experienced clinical efficiencies and quality outcomes associated with the active clinical use of an Electronic Health Record.