Description: The EM community in ON has advocated for an increase in training positions for several years using a variety of data sources to support our case, so far with mixed results. A review of our efforts and outcomes can be instructive to others.
- Understand the drivers of supply and need for emergency physicians.
- Understand major factors causing an ongoing national shortage in EP’s.
- Learn how data can support advocacy.
- Good data enables success in advocacy.
- Aligning with patient and public interest enables success in advocacy.
- You have to be patient and play a long game to achieve systemic changes.
Biography: Howard Ovens practices at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto. He’s been the Ontario Expert Lead advising govt on policy issues in EM for the last 11 years and is a Full Professor at the Dept. of Family and Community Medicine at U of Toronto. He is on the CAEP Public Affairs Ctte.