Description: The emergent treatment of stroke and transient ischemic attack is in rapid evolution. With the advent of literature to support endovascular therapy (EVT) for stroke, the requirement for advanced imaging, and the impact on pre-hospital transport and emergency departments, the paradigm for stroke treatment has changed. This session will inform and engage attendees in these transformational changes.
- To review EMS initiatives necessary for best stroke care
- To review evidence for advanced imaging for stroke
- To review endovascular therapy literature and apply to future systems
- Organized stroke systems of care will provide the largest impact for better stroke care in the future
- Advanced imaging for stroke is now standard of care
- Endovascular therapy will transform how stroke care is delivered
Biography: Dr. Devin Harris is Chief of Staff, Kelowna General Hospital, and Associate Scientific Director of Research, Interior Health, B.C. He is a Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, UBC. He has been involved in numerous quality improvement and research initiatives in stroke, both provincially and nationally.