Description: Endocarditis has been on the back burner for a while now. It is a disease that is evolving as new risk groups emerge and microbiology change. This talk will provide you with the framework to identify the disease and avoid the pitfalls in preventing you to nail down this diagnosis. After this talk you will neither be bored nor afraid of abnormal blood cultures and you will realized you don’t need to fulfill SIRS criteria to be sexy.
- Framework to identify the disease and avoid the pitfalls in preventing you to nail down this diagnosis.
- Appreciation and approach to abnormal blood cultures
- Develop an Endocarditis Hx and Px in the new millennium
- Coag neg staph + Valve = IE until proven otherwise
- Keep IE on the radar of every febrile pt
- Remember the Fever plus One approach to IE
Biography: Associate Professor in the Division of Emergency Medicine at the University of Toronto. He serves as the Assistant Director of Risk Management and Faculty Development at the University Health Network in Toronto. In 2015, he co- authored a chapter on Occlusive Arterial Disease in the 8th Edition of Tintinalli’s Emergency Medicine.